Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Lats = Big bench - Adrian Larsen



I have a video I want you to watch before I get started explaining why lats are so important to a big bench. Chris Duffin has a wealth of knowledge and made me complete this exercise to help show me how to keep my back tight while benching. Take a look and see if you can incorporate this into your routine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIa3A5vYgCc

So first lets talk about why using your lats while benching is important. Well first off it is going to take pressure off of your shoulders. See you dont want to be doing your max flat backed and shoulders flared out in a typicall bb style type press. This will put your shoulders at risk for injury.
Let the weight settle on your lats as you are squeezing them tight. A great way to remember to do this and a way that I always remember is trying to bend the bar. This reminds me to keep my lats tight.

One way to screw this up from the get go is to unrack the weights your self. Or in my case have a big ego and try to lift off the bar before the spotter is ready. This will start you off in a bad position. When you press up with your shoulders and clear the up rights it will be to hard to engage the lats in that position. So first do not and I repeat do not push the bar up and out off the rack. Let a spotter push the bar out to you.

So you have the bar in your hands back tight, your squeezing and bending the bar to engage your lats. After the bar has reached your chest your pushing the bar using leverage of the bench. Expolding the bar up pushing your self into the bench with your lats engaged. This will help with speed at the bottom of your lift. Keeping in mind that you dont want your back or shoulders to shrug up and make it impossible to keep lats engaged. Keep the bar out infront of you, and press through your lats.

Now your not going to be able to neglect your back and have huge lats for your bench. Make sure you put in the work with seated rows, bent over rows, pull ups ETC.


No comments:

Post a Comment