Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Choose your BATTLES




         OK, I do not ever really spend my time getting involved in other people's bullshit; BUT this really got to me. I see things all the time on social media or other outlets that really bother me and I bite my tongue. Unfortunatly, I can't do that for this topic. I am going to cover a bunch of things that are questioned regularly. 

First, we have too many federations in Powerlifting. WHY? Well, because believe it or not every person that starts a federation thinks two things. I can make money at doing this and secondly, I can make a difference. 

Now keep in mind, every time this gets brought up the defense is "I do not make money at this." 
Seriously? 
C'mon! People do make money at this. 

It isn't enough to retire and be set for life, but money is made. I am tired of hearing about how you barely scrape by holding meets.  Typically, meet directors don't pay for a great venue. In fact, I have only been in seven or eight venues in my entire career where I thought it was awesome. Every other venue has been a beat to shit building or a gym. Secondly, you don't pay the lifters. Even the top lifters don't get paid. Maybe you comp the entry fee. WOW! Great! How about pay up to the lifters?   There are only a handful of meets that include money every single year, but companies that support powerlifting make hundreds of thousands of dollars every year. What it boils down to is lazy ass promoters and presidents. Get off your fucking ass and find sponsors that treat them good and do more than collecting entry fees and sit on their ass. 

How do we fix this? 

Don't think by starting another federation to change things will help. Don't spend your money on a federation just because they are 20 mins from your house. 

Spend the money on the federations that truly gives a shit and truly can or are making a difference. Federations that do not allow bullshit lifts or bend the rules for certain lifters. It is the same thing when you buy wrist wraps or knee wraps. You do not give your money to the company with the worst review rating. Maybe they have horrible customer service or maybe they just simply have a crappy product. 
Spend your money on the company that has great products and that are loyal to the customers. It is the same with federations. Let the bottom feeders sink and never come around. 

Finally, I am extremely pissed at the current USPA fall out with Mark Bell and Sling Shot products.  I have known Steve Dennison for a long time. I think he is a good dude, but for fuck sakes, seriously?! 

Whatever the reason you're pissed at Mark Bell about the products he sells, how he sells them, or how it affects Iron Rebel gear. Don't go public with shit until you know what or how you're going to do it. 

I seriously thought that USPA was one on the first federations that could truly help fix powerlifting. Now, I am truly re-thinking that. I am extremely disappointed in this. In fact I am a little embarrassed to be involved in Powerlifting and have to deal with these type of issues. If you head up a powerlifting federation, rules are rules.  If you have rules about wrist wraps and the lifters do not read the rules nor follow them, that is on them. 

There are many problems in Powerlifting. Many things need to be fixed. Don't make the problem worse with petty bullshit. Just do what you can to make Powerlifting better.      



      

No comments:

Post a Comment